Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rice Packets & Building a Flower Wreath from Ikea


I had seen an adorable picture of birdseed packets online (E.Snow/Mint Design)and written to the creator to ask for the format. She was kind enough to help us out and this is the result. I thought rice would be more hygenic, especially in our humid, tropical climate, then birdseed and although I was going to originally, follow her yellow-thread sewn glassine packet design, in the end, the thought of having to sew hundreds of these gave me pause.


I decided to print stickers instead. Strangely enough, I thought I would need to take the to a professional printer but running them through a regular printer with sticker paper gave great quality and colour. I cut them up and we sealed the rice (with some cut yellow paper string pieces) into thin self-sticking plastic bags. I chose a long, rectangular shape because I quite liked the assymetry of the clear plastic. If I were to do this over again, I would find some way to include the guest name and table number on these packets and have them perform a dual all-in-hand function. I'm not entirely sure they will be used by guests (or how many will get used) but the sealing packets were sold in bulk stacks of 100 for $2, the rice and paper string were super inexpensive and printing was as well, so I don't feel too bad about these pretty extras!


The White Rabbit has great vintage white wood double doors, as well as a modern set of glass double doors behind it. I wanted to have a couple of baby's breath wreaths hanging on them but to be honest, was not particularly willing to have a florist make them on the day of and to have them only see an hour's glory. I could have made them myself but then, it would have to be someone else's wedding! Part of me also felt like perhaps more flowers were unnecessary (the vintage double doors really are part of the restored church's architecture and don't have any nails or hooks, so you would have to weigh the wreath by a ribbon attached to a heavy stone flung over the door- a bit complex) so the compromise I came to was I would do the wreaths only if it wasn't going to cost too much time and effort.


I stumbled upon a flower sale at Ikea and picked up these wreaths for $2.50 each and 3 stems of hydrageas and gardenias for $1 each. These wreaths looked nothing like this initially, they were a sad, thin circlet of apple blossoms and vines. It's amazing what is possible with florist wire. We pulled off the bunches of flower petals (if you look closely, the wreath has apple blossoms, hydrangea and gardenias in varying shades of white and ivory) and wired them to the wreath. Then, I super-glued specific bulbs and petals on and will add brown lotus pods and fresh red Christmas berries the day before. That will probably be the most expensive part of the wreath, actually.


This is the money box, or Ang Pow box, the term for a traditional red packet of money that is given as a gift in most Asian weddings. The ones given to us as part of our package were pretty ugly, so I ripped off the copper metal flowers (!? I know..), pearl beads and diamentes and started creating a pattern from paillaites of lace, gauze that I cut out from wedding dress scraps.

No comments: