Friday, June 27, 2008

Lestari Furniture- The Bed and Shoe Cabinet

Should one trust an Indonesian furniture maker? Well, since Amy has been so amazing at firstly, tracking down good deals and secondly, being able to coordinate with the company, I have had nothing but a good experience so far.

The good thing is the company came through recommendations and they are featured in many wood-focused websites. They use mostly mahagony timber, teak wood and munggur (samanea saman), which was introduced to Indonesia by the dutch 300 years ago to shade plantations and roadways.

The plantation wood is bought from department of forestry as government owned forest enterprise in central Java. The company has a scary website given their antique and repro french furniture but they can do really good work. Check it out. http://www.furniture-export.20m.com/

Decided to put the bed, shoe cabinet and am contemplating putting the coffee table on order from them. The process of designing and ordering has been really interesting, Amy had us compile a detailed order, specifying our instructions, measurements and pictorial diagrams for each item.


This is important for us anyway because the second bedroom, now the main bedroom, doesn't have a lot of space (length) so the room cannot accomodate a very thick headboard nor extra-long bed frame.




The shoe cabinet is going to be a light salek (straw bamboo) colour to match the main doorframe, with the doors of the first picture and the legs of the second. I wasn't able to show the internal diagrams that I drew for the shelving but it was actually very helpful to be able to custom the width and the shelf heights for the shoes and shoe boxes.



The designs are relatively simple anyway, although I was entirely envious of my friends' Chinese-wrought blackwood and salek furniture and black neo-Victorian chair and table set that had far more stylish patterns. It just goes to show their great taste!

The best part of this service is definitely the price. I think the bed came up to a grand total of $225 USD and the shoe cabinet for $167 (probably because of all the extra work for the shelves). Even with shipping charges, it will probably be much cheaper than anything we could purchase here .

The ability to custom make something or rather anything you have in mind for a fraction of the price is so exciting and fantastic. I was definitely tempted to make a few more smaller pieces- we definitely need a dressing vanity in the bedroom, a low seat for the lift lobby and a high console with a drawer or lower shelving for Z's coffee corner in the dining room. I just hope our existing order comes out like planned!

No comments: