Friday, June 27, 2008

Stemware- Ikea and others



At a wine sale with a friend last week, I came across their 40% sale on Restaurant Series Riedel glasses which are much more affordable and apparently also much more durable. He decided to get a set as a housewarming gift, which is really generous, thank you!
I've always had a long-standing love affair with stemware and glassware and it's always a pleasant surprise (especially when in a guy's house) to find coordinated sets of plates, particularly large presentation plates and drinkware. It usually means he is a good cook and an avid entertainer!




Back in college, I used to take my cravings out on Crate and Barrel and Williams and Sonoma, agglomerating a collection of pasta plates, trumpet flutes and a couple of pitchers, though not their iconic Ona Pitcher. Looking back, their $3.95 glassware was both quality and a great price, even, or perhaps, especially compared to Singapore store offerings and I now wish I had got their lowball glasses which I had totally no use for in college!

So we have some things, since I shipped my stuff back to Singapore, the new stemware and I came across a Bodum sale which looked pretty attractive at Robinsons (once I figure out, are Bodum cups better as tea mugs or should them be with a handle?).




When I feel like being more creative with wedding gifts, I go to the Zwiesel store that's down the road from my office. I couldn't find a picture of their gorgeous coloured glasses, which they were making in these dark aubergine to light amber hues for some commemorative anniversary but they have some great decanters and lowball glasses. I always think of Schott-Zwiesel as more of a whisky-brandy house as opposed to Riedel's wineglasses, I don't know why.






In Singapore, we are sadly remiss in the "medium tier" category of glassware, indeed homeware offerings and the department store drinkware offerings are also unreasonable. Of course, there's always Ikea and I can tell you that's where the highball and water glasses will come from!

No comments: